Mission, Vision, and Values
The mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends.
Become a Conservation Champion and join the world’s most ambitious effort to protect the global environment, improving quality of life in Hong Kong and around the world, today and in the future. Get involved now.
Our vision is to leave a sustainable world for future generations, in Hong Kong and around the world.
Today’s society faces unprecedented challenges. Dwindling natural resources, declining economies, a rapidly changing climate and other threats require that all of us begin working together to reach common solutions.
More than ever before, we must find innovative ways to ensure that nature can continue to provide the fresh air, safe food, clean water, energy and other services our growing population depends upon for survival.
Now is a time of opportunity: a time to move conservation from the sidelines of global priorities to the center of the world stage—because all humans depend on a healthy, diverse environment, whether we live in Hong Kong, London or New York.
Integrity Beyond Reproach:
We will meet the highest ethical and professional standards in all of our organizational endeavors and, in doing so, we hold ourselves accountable to our mission and to the public.
- Be honest at all times
- Earn trust by building relationships, being competent, and following through on all of our commitments
Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures:
Enduring conservation success depends on the active involvement of people and partners whose lives and livelihoods are linked to the natural systems we seek to conserve. We respect the needs, values and traditions of local communities and cultures, and we forge relationships based on mutual benefit and trust.
- Demonstrate respect by committing to local, on the ground involvement with people, communities and cultures, and with awareness and sensitivity to their economic realities
- Treat our partners and colleagues with fairness and honesty
- Work collaboratively with all sectors of society, including indigenous people, to develop practical conservation solutions.
Commitment to Diversity:
We recognize that conservation is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. We will recruit and mentor staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character.
- Respect and be open to a variety of viewpoints and diversity of thought
- Work in an environment that encourages each of us to achieve our potential and values the contributions of all
- Expand and strengthen the diversity of our workforce, trustee base, and boards
Our strength and vitality lie in being one organization working together in local places and across borders to achieve our global mission. We value the collective and collaborative efforts that are so essential to our success.
- Work across all of our operations to implement and support the right strategies, at the right scales, and at the right places always with the greater good of our mission in mind
- Act with continuity of purpose in everything we do, from the focus of our conservation efforts to the allocation of our resources
- Celebrate individual, team and project success as the success of all who work for The Nature Conservancy
Tangible, Lasting Results:
We use the best available science, a creative spirit, and a collaborative, non-confrontational approach to craft innovative solutions to complex conservation problems at scales that matter and in ways that will endure.
- Develop, analyze and use the best available conservation science and a science-based rigor to set priorities, make decisions, take action, and measure results
- Use a creative spirit and original thought in the pursuit of excellence
- Conduct our business in an environmentally sensitive manner
Share our values? Join us in our mission to save the earth’s most vital lands and waters, for you and your family, and for people around the planet.